With summertime just around the corner, there’s a lot of emphasis on skin and how to keep it healthy while you’re out and about in the sunshine. Applying Young Living essential oils onto your skin can be a great way to strengthen your system and promote internal peace and wellness during these fun and busy months, but it’s important to know how to save your skin from potential damage or irritation with one very important ingredient – carrier oils.
Whether you are new to essential oils or if you have already adopted a few oils into your home and lifestyle, understanding the necessity of carrier oils can benefit everyone to ensure safe and satisfying use!
What is a Carrier Oil?
When we talk about carrier oils on EssentialOils.love, we are referring to Young Living’s V-6 Vegetable Complex or another pure vegetable oil. The most important point to remember about carrier oils is this: while carrier oils help dilute the intensity of essential oils, they do not dilute the powers of essential oils. In fact, all essential oils should be partially diluted with pure carrier oils to receive the best benefits from the oils.
How Carrier Oils Amplify and Protect Your Essential Oils Experience
Young Living’s pure essential oils are never cut with any other ingredients and are always created with the Seed to Seal® guarantee, but introducing oils directly to your skin without a carrier oil can actually do more harm than good. This is referred to as “neat” application, and it can lead to:
- Skin irritation that can hinder the benefits of essential oils from fully reaching your skin
- Evaporation of the essential oil from the skin before it is fully absorbed
- Becoming potentially “sensitized” to the oil, a permanent skin response similar to an allergy that can prevent you from using the oil in the future.
In addition to keeping your skin protected from the strength of the oil, pure vegetable oils contain their own nutrients that can nourish the skin. Carrier oils also ensure that the essential oils are properly massaged into the area.
Looking for a Carrier Oil? Start with Your Kitchen!
While Young Living’s proprietary V-6 Vegetable Complex serves as a great carrier oil for all essential oils, you can find options that are just as good right in your own home!
- Olive oil: Who doesn’t have a bottle of olive oil in the pantry for cooking or to use in your homemade salad dressing? This common culinary oil can also be a great carrier oil, but be sure to check the ingredients to make sure that there are no contaminants such as similarly-colored oils that are often added into grocery store varieties.
- Coconut oil: Made of saturated fat, coconut oil easily absorbs into the skin without leaving a sticky film.